Thursday, March 12, 2009

Scarves... Prabartana

note: photos soon to come!!!
So I sent out an e-mail about 2 weeks ago with in simple idea about selling scarves from a fair trade women's organization here in Bangladesh to friends back home. The response has been overwhelming, thank you everyone, thank you!

I quickly realized that I have to come up with a more organized way to do this whole scarf project... and I have spent some time in the last 10 days figuring out the logistics of my new little project. Prabartana keeps such a small and varied stock that it was not even possible for me to fill the exact orders I received by just going in and buying from their retail store, as they only have one or two of each of the designs of silk scarves.... this makes the scarves more special but also makes supplying them a bit more complicated.

Last week I met with the Prabartana designer, Saima, a recent university graduate (who studied fashion) and we came up with a plan and did some test dyes... This is what I have come up with, and of course its flexible, so feel free to ask questions or ask for things I don't offer if you don't see anything here you like. I am happy to take 'special orders' for any type of scarf not pictured here, for example if you would like an all silk scarf in orange or red I can for sure get you one, but the design will depend on what is available in the shop. This way you can look at and then order exactly what you want if that works better for you, or send in a general request that I can fill.

I'm still not sure about shipping costs but the shipping cost will be a maximum of $5 USD, and I will keep you all posted on that when I figure it out!

Here is the breakdown of what I figured out:
I am offering for sale 5 types of scarves and these are the colors, styles available...

1. Cotton Scarves, tell me the color or combo of colors you would like and I will try to get it for you, they have way too many cotton scarves for me to make a catalogue of colors and styles.
USD $15

2. Silk (small size) in natural dyes with zig-zags: Brown, Indigo, Silver/Olive 10 x 55 inches
USD $15

3. Silk/ Cotton Mix in natural dyes: Indigo, Gold, Silver/Black and Pink/Red 26 x 88 inches
USD $35

4. Silk/ Raw Cotton in natural dyes: Light Gold, Dark Gold/ Brown, Indigo 26 x 88 inches
USD $35

5. Pure Silk in natural dyes: Silver, Indigo, Gold (not sure of size yet but probably about 20 x 70 inches I still have to price this one and get a test dye done)
USD $35- $40

1 comment: